- The animal that is going to be sacrificed should be fed and given water.
- The knife that is going to be used should be sharpened beforehand, and not in front of the animal.
- The animal should be laid down on its left side at the place of slaughter, face pointing towards the Qibla. دعاء should be read before slaughtering the animal.
- Animal should be slaughtered quickly with a sharp knife. When slaughtering, cut all 4 veins in the throat or atleast 3 veins should be cut with 3 strokes of the knife. Don't cut any more than 3 strokes which will cause unnecessary pain to the animal.
- As soon as the animal is cold, you should start skinning the animal. Do not skin the animal when it still has life, it should be completely dead before skining.
- NOTE: age of animal: camel should be 5 yrs old, ox, bull, buffalo should be 2 yrs old and sheep, lamb, goat should be 1 yr old. The animal should be a healthy animal with no defects.
Dua before and after slaughtering:
اِنِّى وَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِيَ لِلَّذِيْ فَطَرَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ حَنِيْفًا وَّمَا اَنَا مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِيْنَ اِنَّ صَلاَتِيْ وَنُسُكِيْ وَمَحْيَايَ وَمَمَاتِيْ للهِ رَبِّ الْعالَمِيْنَ لاَ شَرِيْكَ لَه وَبِذَلِكَ اُمِرْتَ وَاَنَا مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِيْنَ اَللَّهُمَّ مِنْكَ وَلَكَ
Trans: “For me, I have set my face, firmly and truly towards Him Who created the heavens and the earth. And never shall I give partners to Allah. Verily my worship and my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the worlds. O Allah! this sacrifice is from you and is for you”.
WHILE SLAUGHTERING THE ANIMAL READ:
بِسْمِ اللهِ اَللهُ اَكْبرُ
Trans: In the name of Allah. Allah is the greatest”.
DUA TO BE RECITED AFTER ZABAH:
اَللّهُمَّ تَقَبَّلْهُ مِنِّي كَمَاْ تَقَبَّلْتَ مِنْ حَبِيْبِكَ مُحَمَّدٍ وَّخَلِيْلِكَ اِبْرَاهِيْمَ عَلَيهِمَا الصَّلوةُ وَالسَّلامُ
Trans: "O Allah accept from me (this sacrifice) like you have accepted from you beloved Muhammad and you friend IBRAHEEM. Peace be upon them.
If a person has not memorised the DUA, it is correct that he slaughter the animal with the NIYYAH of Qurbani and the recital of: Bismillah hi Allahu Akbar
THE QURBANI ANIMALS THAT HAVE THE FOLLOWING DEFECTS CANNOT BE SACRIFICED:
An animal that was born without horns or had broken off from the middle, could be used for Qurbani. If the horn has broken off from the root. Such an animal cannot be used for Qurbani.
Goats that are castrated may be used for Qurbani. This type of animal is preferable.
Those animals that are blind, squint eyed or limping, cannot be used for Qurbani. Likewise, a sick, weak or thin animal that cannot go to the MAZBAH (place of slaughtering) on its own legs cannot be used for Qurbani.
If more than a third of the ear or tail of an animal is cut off, such an animal is not suitable for Qurbani. In the same manner, an animal that was born without ears cannot be used for Qurbani.
An animal was purchased in a healthy and perfect state, thereafter an accident occurred which made the animal unfit for Qurbani. If the buyer is not wealthy (SAAHIB-UN-NISAAB) it will be permissible to offer this animal for Qurbani. If the owner is a SAAHIB-UN-NISAAB, then it is compulsory to obtain another animal in place of the injured and deformed animal.
If an animal that has been selected for Qurbani gives birth before its slaughter, or while slaughtering it, a live lamb or calf if born, then this newly born animal should also be slaughtered.
A person on whom Qurbani was Waajib, purchased an animal for sacrifice. Thereafter this animal got lost, stolen or died. In such a case it will be Waajib to sacrifice another animal in its place. If after sacrificing the second animal, the first one is found, then it is better that this animal be sacrificed too.
In the case where a person was poor and it was not Waajib for him to perform a Qurbani, if an animal was purchased to perform a Nafil Qurbani, it becomes Waajib to sacrifice this animal as a Qurbani, but if this animal dies or gets lost, then the WUJOOB falls away. It will not be Waajib to perform another Qurbani. If after losing the first animal another is purchased, thereafter the first one is found, it becomes Waajib to sacrifice both animals. The reason being that when a poor person buys an animal with the intention of Qurbani, if falls into the category of NAZAR, which is Waajib to fulfill.