Hazrat Sheikh Moulana Ibrahim Mia (Rahmatullah Alayh) from time to time use to advise Imams on how to carry out the Imamat fuction.
Some of these advices were:
1. Be considerate of the mussallees.
Do not read very long qiraat.
Sheikh (Rahmatullah Alayh) was VERY PARTICULAR ABOUT KEEPING TO TIME when it came to bayaans. Bayaans were kept to time and not dragged on.
2. Read the qiraat at a moderate pace. Not too fast or too slow.
On one occasion the Imam in Mt Vernon, Kzn read qiraat of the Esha salaat very slowly. After the Salaat, Sheikh (Rahmatullah Alayh) called the Imam and advised him not to read so slowly and to read at a moderate pace.
3. Use your position of Imam to advice the mussallees on the deen. Don't just perform the salaat.
4. Sheikh (Rahmatullah Alayh) used the advice the Imams to pause after every ayat of Surah Fatiha, rather than to read by joining the ayats.
5. Sheikh (Rahmatullah Alayh) was very particular of the reading salaat with the correct postures according to the Sunnat and used to train the mureeds practically to do the same.
Sheikh (Rahmatullah Alayh) himself on occasion specially visited Hazrat Moulana Abrarul Haq (ra) to ask him to correct his postures of salaat.
6. Sheikh (Rahmatullah Alayh) used to advise Imam's to allow musallee's time to make their intentions for salaah & also advised them to practice on the Sunnah of saying 'straighten the saff's'
7. The Imams were advised to read the Sunnah Qiraat in Fardh Salaat as follows:
- Fri Fajr: Surah Sajdah, Surah Dahr.
- Fajr (On occasion and as per sunnah, Surah Falaq, Surah Naas)
- Fri Maghrib: Surah Kafiroon, Surah Ihklaas
- Witr: Surahs A'la, Surah Kafiroon, Surah Ihklaas
Additionaly the Sunnah Surahs as below was emphasised:
- Fajr & Zuhr: Surah Hujuraat to Surah Inshiqaaq
- Asr & Esha: Surah Burooj to Surah Qadr
- Maghrib: Surah Bayyinah to Surah Naas